If I am breastfeeding, can I take phenelzine?

Currently, it is unclear whether phenelzine is excreted in breast milk and, if so, what effect this could have on a nursing baby. Because so much is unknown, breastfeeding while taking phenelzine is not recommended. If you are taking phenelzine and want to nurse your baby, discuss this with your doctor. You may be able to take a different medication that is safer to use while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Side effects of antidepressants include the following: Common side effects: These include nausea an...
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?