If I am breastfeeding, can I take phenelzine?

Currently, it is unclear whether phenelzine is excreted in breast milk and, if so, what effect this could have on a nursing baby. Because so much is unknown, breastfeeding while taking phenelzine is not recommended. If you are taking phenelzine and want to nurse your baby, discuss this with your doctor. You may be able to take a different medication that is safer to use while breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What medications or supplements interact with amitriptyline?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 antagonist, an antipsychotic, lithium, metaxalone, methylphenidate, metocl...
What are the side effects of SSNRIs in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs) include Effexor (venlafaxine) an...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?