How should I use Emsam?

You should use Emsam patches exactly as directed by your doctor. The medicine in Emsam (selegiline) is delivered through the skin by a patch that you apply to your skin. Use a new patch every day. Try to change your Emsam patch around the same time every day.

Apply the patch to clean, smooth, dry skin. Avoid skin that's hairy, oily, irritated or broken. You can apply an Emsam patch to your upper chest, back (between your neck and your waist), upper thigh or the outer surface of your upper arm.

Don't apply an Emsam patch in a place where it might be rubbed by tight clothing. If an Emsam patch falls off, try to press it back into place. If the patch won't stay, apply a fresh one. Follow all label instructions for applying a patch.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?