How is Tofranil used to treat eating disorders?

The antidepressant Tofranil (imipramine) is occasionally used to treat eating disorders that involve bingeing, such as bulimia. Some research suggests the medication can reduce the frequency of binges while easing symptoms of depression, which often accompany eating disorders.

Treating eating disorders is an off-label use of Tofranil. Off-label use is a common, legal practice that allows doctors to prescribe a medication for a condition other than what the Food and Drug Administration approved it for.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What types of antidepressants are available?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants bec...
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when firs...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?