How is Tofranil different from Tofranil-PM?

The antidepressants drugs Tofranil and Tofranil-PM contain the same active ingredient (imipramine), and both are approved to treat depression. However, there are several differences:
  • Tofranil comes in tablet form, and Tofranil-PM comes as a capsule.
  • Tofranil is available in smaller dosages than Tofranil-PM. Tofranil comes as 10-milligram (mg), 25-mg and 50-mg tablets, whereas Tofranil-PM comes as 75-mg, 100-mg, 125-mg and 150-mg capsules.
  • Because Tofranil-PM has a higher concentration of imipramine, it is not recommended for any use in children, including for bedwetting or depression, due to a higher risk of overdose.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?