How should I take Effexor XR?

Effexor XR should be taken along with food and swallowed whole with a liquid. The capsule should not be crushed, chewed or dissolved in a liquid. The capsule may be opened and sprinkled on applesauce as long as you swallow it without chewing and follow it immediately with water.

Follow your doctor's instructions regarding the amount and timing of doses for Effexor XR and take it at the same time each day. The amount and timing of this medication will depend upon the condition being treated.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What are dual reuptake inhibitors?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
The dual reuptake inhibitors venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a class of antidepr...
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physicia...
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What are the different types of antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
There are many antidepressants on the market today. Why do we need so many different medications to ...