How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?

Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lithium, valproate) or antimanic agent for the treatment of Bipolar Depression since antidepressants alone may induce switching to mania or hypomania, mixed episodes, and rapid cycling. Current research is focused on finding better ways to treat this hard-to-treat phase of the disorder.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Side effects of antidepressants include the following: Common side effects: These include nausea an...
How do antidepressants work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
No one knows for certain how antidepressants work. While we have many pieces of the puzzle, we still...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?