How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?

Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lithium, valproate) or antimanic agent for the treatment of Bipolar Depression since antidepressants alone may induce switching to mania or hypomania, mixed episodes, and rapid cycling. Current research is focused on finding better ways to treat this hard-to-treat phase of the disorder.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Which common foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antidepressants?
The following information will provide the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse dru...
How do antidepressant medications affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends mostly on what medication is being used, but it also varies a great deal from one perso...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?