How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?

Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lithium, valproate) or antimanic agent for the treatment of Bipolar Depression since antidepressants alone may induce switching to mania or hypomania, mixed episodes, and rapid cycling. Current research is focused on finding better ways to treat this hard-to-treat phase of the disorder.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What are the risks of taking antidepressants during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Antidepressants are generally reserved for the treatment of serious depression during pregnancy....
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?