How soon after starting Pamelor will my symptoms improve?

You may need to take the antidepressant Pamelor (nortriptyline) for a month or so before you notice improvements in your symptoms. Pamelor belongs to a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants that are thought to work by adjusting the levels of certain brain chemicals (neurotransmitters).

Your doctor will probably start you on a low dose of Pamelor and monitor you closely to see how you respond to the drug. If necessary, he or she may raise your dose gradually over several weeks. Once your symptoms improve, your doctor may gradually reduce the dose to the lowest level that keeps you feeling well.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
Which common foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antidepressants?
The following information will provide the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse dru...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?