How soon after starting Luvox will my symptoms improve?

It may take several weeks of treatment with Luvox (fluvoxamine) before you notice improvement in your symptoms. Luvox is one of a number of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which work by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Luvox is prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in adults and children ages 8 to 17.

You may need to take Luvox for 10 to 12 weeks before you notice improvement in your symptoms. In studies of people with OCD, two-thirds of adults and three-quarters of children who took Luvox for 10 weeks noticed improvement in their symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?