How soon after starting Effexor will my symptoms improve?

Effexor (venlafaxine), a prescription medication for depression, may take six to eight weeks to be fully effective. Clinical studies have found that symptoms improve over the course of six weeks, but each person is different. You may find that Effexor helps you sooner or that it takes longer for you to start feeling better.

While studies show that Effexor is more effective than a placebo (sugar pill) for most people, that doesn't mean that it works for everyone. When you start taking Effexor, your doctor will want to know how it affects your mood and function; this will help determine how well the drug works for you.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

why might my antidepressant not work ?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
As one of the most well prescribed types of drug of all time, over 160 million antidepressant pr...
how do antidepressant medications affect weight ?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends mostly on what medication is being used, but it also varies a great deal from one perso...
should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder ?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
can tricyclic antidepressants help prevent migraine headaches ?
Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline, are used successfully by some individuals for prev...