How soon after starting Effexor will my symptoms improve?

Effexor (venlafaxine), a prescription medication for depression, may take six to eight weeks to be fully effective. Clinical studies have found that symptoms improve over the course of six weeks, but each person is different. You may find that Effexor helps you sooner or that it takes longer for you to start feeling better.

While studies show that Effexor is more effective than a placebo (sugar pill) for most people, that doesn't mean that it works for everyone. When you start taking Effexor, your doctor will want to know how it affects your mood and function; this will help determine how well the drug works for you.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What is a dual-action antidepressant?
A dual-action antidepressant, such as Effexor, is a depression medication that also treats physi...
What should I know before taking duloxetine?
Your doctor will need to measure your blood pressure before starting treatment. If you take duloxet...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?