How soon after starting Celexa will my symptoms improve?

After starting Celexa (citalopram), an antidepressant medication, it may take several weeks for your symptoms to begin to improve and a few months before you feel the full effect of the medication. Celexa is a medication known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It is thought to help with depression by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain.

Your doctor will likely monitor you closely during the first few weeks you are taking Celexa to watch for side effects and to see how well the drug is working for you. He or she may adjust the dose of your medication if necessary.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking serotonin reuptake inhibitors?
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. It is not known if all SRIs are safe or effective for...
What are symptoms of withdrawal from antidepressants?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
Antidepressants technically do not cause withdrawal symptoms. The term withdrawal is associated with...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?