How soon after starting Celexa will my symptoms improve?

After starting Celexa (citalopram), an antidepressant medication, it may take several weeks for your symptoms to begin to improve and a few months before you feel the full effect of the medication. Celexa is a medication known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It is thought to help with depression by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain.

Your doctor will likely monitor you closely during the first few weeks you are taking Celexa to watch for side effects and to see how well the drug is working for you. He or she may adjust the dose of your medication if necessary.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
Is it safe to take antidepressants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Most experts agree that some new-generation antidepressants (e.g., Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Well...