How can I minimize the side effects of Celexa?

To minimize side effects of Celexa (citalopram), a prescription antidepressant medication, do the following:
  • Take Celexa exactly as directed by your doctor. Do not take more or less, or take it more or less frequently, than your doctor prescribes. Do not stop taking Celexa without talking to your doctor first.
  • Make a list of all medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and dietary and herbal supplements that you take, and go over the list carefully with your doctor before starting Celexa. Once you begin taking Celexa, do not take any new medication or supplement without checking with your doctor first.
  • Don't drink alcohol. Alcohol may worsen side effects of Celexa.
  • Give your doctor a detailed medical history, and be sure your doctor is aware of any medical conditions you're currently experiencing.
  • Keep all your medical appointments. Your doctor will want to monitor you closely to be sure you are not having any serious side effects and to see how you are responding to Celexa.
Be sure to call your doctor at the first sign of symptoms of potentially serious side effects, including:
  • changes in mood or behavior, including worsening depression, suicidal thoughts or behaviors, aggressive or violent behavior, extreme worry, irritability, anxiety, panic attacks, agitation, restlessness or trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
  • symptoms of potential heart problems (chest pain, fast or slow heartbeat, difficulty breathing, dizziness or fainting)
  • symptoms of allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, rash, hives, blisters on the skin and swelling of the face, tongue, eyes and/or mouth)
  • fatigue or excessive drowsiness
  • seizures or convulsions
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • changes in appetite and/or weight
  • symptoms of low salt levels in the blood (which may cause headache, weakness, confusion or memory problems and unsteadiness)
  • hallucinations or other changes in mental status
  • coordination problems or muscle twitching or stiffness
  • racing heartbeat
  • changes in blood pressure
  • sweating
  • fever
  • nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?