How should I take desipramine?

Desipramine is taken by mouth one or more times a day, depending on your doctor's recommendation. It can be taken with or without food, but it should be taken consistently at a certain time of the day. This ensures that you have balanced levels of the medicine in your blood at all times. You may start out on a low dose and then gradually work your way up to a larger one.

You may not feel the effects of the medicine for two or three weeks after you start taking it. Do not stop taking desipramine suddenly; sudden discontinuation can result in withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, stomach upset and weakness.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

how is doxepin used to treat insomnia ?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
how does duloxetine interact with other medications ?
If you are taking... A 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, metaxalone, metoclopramide, paroxetine, a selec...
how does nortriptyline interact with other medications or foods ?
If you are taking linezolid, you should not take nortriptyline. Do not use nortriptyline if you are...
why should i see my doctor regularly if i am taking antidepressants ?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physicia...