How should I take protriptyline?

Protriptyline, an antidepressant in tablet form that helps improve mood, should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. You may take the drug with or without food, and it is usually taken three or four times daily. Your doctor will typically start you on a low dose of protriptyline and slowly increase your dosage. If you miss a dose, do not double dose to make up for the missed dose. Overdose symptoms include irregular heartbeat, fainting, seizures, loss of consciousness, confusion and vomiting. If you suspect an accidental overdose, seek medical attention immediately.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can antidepressants help a smoker quit?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?