How should I take protriptyline?

Protriptyline, an antidepressant in tablet form that helps improve mood, should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. You may take the drug with or without food, and it is usually taken three or four times daily. Your doctor will typically start you on a low dose of protriptyline and slowly increase your dosage. If you miss a dose, do not double dose to make up for the missed dose. Overdose symptoms include irregular heartbeat, fainting, seizures, loss of consciousness, confusion and vomiting. If you suspect an accidental overdose, seek medical attention immediately.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What are the side effects of SSNRIs in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs) include Effexor (venlafaxine) an...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?