How is Paxil used to treat male sexual problems?

Paxil (paroxetine) may help men who experience premature ejaculation by increasing the time it takes them to reach orgasm during sex. Doctors may prescribe Paxil, which is an antidepressant, "off label" for this purpose, and may recommend that a man take Paxil either daily or two hours before engaging in sexual activity. If depression plays a role in a man's sexual problems, Paxil may also improve his sexual problems by treating his depression.

Just as Paxil can act as a treatment for premature ejaculation in some men, it may lead to sexual problems in others by causing them to take too long to achieve orgasm. Decreased sexual desire may also be a problem for both men and women who take Paxil.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What are dual reuptake inhibitors?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
The dual reuptake inhibitors venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a class of antidepr...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?