How is Paxil used to treat chronic headaches?

Paxil (paroxetine) may help prevent and treat headaches by adjusting levels of the chemical serotonin in the brain. One function of serotonin is to help regulate pain, and some research indicates that people who experience chronic headaches have low levels of serotonin at key spots in their brains. Making serotonin more available can increase feelings of well-being, which might also help alleviate headache pain. Paxil is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating depression in adults, but it is sometimes prescribed "off label" to treat chronic headaches.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?