How is Paxil different from Paxil CR?

The main difference between Paxil and Paxil CR is the way your body absorbs the active ingredient in the drug, paroxetine. Both these drugs treat depression and other mental health disorders by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain.

When you take a tablet of Paxil, the full dose of paroxetine is available to you as your body breaks down the pill. Paxil CR is an extended-release tablet (CR stands for controlled release), formulated to give you a steady, small amount of paroxetine throughout the day.

Paxil is available in four different doses of tablets as well as a liquid. Paxil CR is available in tablets with three possible doses.

Paxil CR is used to treat major depressive disorder (MDD), panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) in adults. Paxil also treats MDD, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder, as well as obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in adults. Both drugs may also be prescribed "off label" to treat other conditions.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...