How does Pamelor work to treat panic disorder?

Doctors are not sure how the antidepressant Pamelor (nortriptyline) works to treat panic disorder. Although the Food and Drug Administration has approved Pamelor for treating depression in adults, it is sometimes prescribed "off label" to people who have panic disorder. Doctors think that Pamelor might help treat panic disorder by balancing the levels of certain chemicals in the brain, called neurotransmitters.

Pamelor belongs to a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. In studies, about two-thirds of people with panic disorder who took a tricyclic antidepressant were panic free at the end of three months.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What are the side effects of doxepin?
Side effects may include abnormal thinking or behavior, driving or doing other tasks while asleep or...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?