How can Pamelor help me stop smoking?

Taking the antidepressant Pamelor (nortriptyline) may double your odds of quitting smoking successfully, according to some research, although doctors aren't sure how the drug does this. Some experts believe that Pamelor may affect the nerve pathways involved in nicotine addiction. Others think that Pamelor helps people avoid smoking by treating the depression that may result when people quit the habit. Pamelor may also work as a smoking cessation aid by raising the level of the neurotransmitters dopamine, epinephrine or norepinephrine in your brain.

Pamelor is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating depression in adults. Its use as a stop-smoking aid is considered "off label."

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Is it harmful to take antidepressants for a long time?
Right now, there is not much strong evidence that long-term antidepressant use will cause any seriou...
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?