How does mirtazapine work to treat depression?

While it is not understood exactly how mirtazapine works to treat depression, like most medications for mental disorders, mirtazapine acts on increasing chemicals in the brain that can help treat depressive thoughts and other depression symptoms. Similar to other antidepressants, mirtazapine helps to elevate mood and lift depression.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking serotonin reuptake inhibitors?
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. It is not known if all SRIs are safe or effective for...
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?