How long will my child need to take Celexa?

Your child may need to take the antidepressant Celexa (citalopram) for as long as your child's doctor recommends it. Research is limited on the potential benefits and side effects of treating children with Celexa, because the drug is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) only for treating major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults. Prescribing Celexa to children is considered an "off-label" use of the drug, which is a common practice in medicine.

Research in adults indicates that many people with MDD require long-term treatment with medication to prevent the return of depression symptoms. (Adding psychotherapy to medication may also help children, teens and adults with depression or other mental health disorders.) Your child's doctor will probably monitor him closely during treatment with Celexa to make sure he's benefiting from the drug, adjust the dose if necessary, keep tabs on his growth (which may be affected by taking Celexa) and watch for side effects.

Your child, his doctor and you may all be involved in deciding when it might be best for your child to stop taking Celexa. Your child should not stop taking Celexa suddenly. Doing so may lead to withdrawal symptoms. When it is time for your child to stop taking Celexa, the doctor will likely gradually lower the dose so he can go off the medication slowly, minimizing side effects.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?