How is Effexor XR used to treat anxiety disorders?

Effexor XR (venlafaxine), the extended release version of the prescription medication Effexor, is used to treat three anxiety disorders: generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), social anxiety disorder and panic disorder. To treat one of these disorders, you doctor may tell you to take Effexor XR daily for six months or more.

Everyone feels anxiety from time to time, but these disorders are characterized by excessive anxiety and worry. Anxiety associated with GAD is strong and lasts for at least six months; social anxiety disorder is a persistent fear of one or more social situations; panic disorder includes unexplained panic attacks and anxiety following one for at least a month. If you have any questions about anxiety disorders or Effexor XR, just ask your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?