How is Effexor used to treat hot flashes associated with menopause?

Effexor (venlafaxine), a prescription medication commonly used to treat depression, can be an effective treatment for hot flashes during menopause. Studies show that for some women, taking Effexor every day reduces hot flashes by two-thirds.

Because long-term use of hormone replacement therapy to relieve hot flashes may increase the risk of breast cancer and other health problems, Effexor has been studied as an alternative -- especially for women who have had breast cancer. If you're having trouble with hot flashes, ask your doctor if Effexor may be right for you.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
How can antidepressants help a smoker quit?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?