How effective is duloxetine for treating osteoarthritis?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Research on duloxetine has found it to be about as effective as NSAIDs for improving pain and function in osteoarthritis. It appears to be about as effective as most opioids, and may be more effective than the opioids tramadol, oxycodone, and hydrocodone. But there is not enough research yet to be sure exactly how effective duloxetine is, or how it can best be used to treat osteoarthritis.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?