How does nortriptyline treat depression?

A chemical imbalance in the brain may cause certain kinds of depression. Nortriptyline treats depression by helping to even out this chemical imbalance.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants are used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
Here is a list of the antidepressant medications used for Alzheimer's disease and their correspo...
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?