How does desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) work?

The antidepressant desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) works by affecting the neurotransmitters norepinepherine and serotonin in the brain. These neurotransmitters are known to be linked to mood and depression. Desvenlafaxine is in the drug class called the selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. Since it comes in an extended release (long-acting) tablet, it is usually taken by mouth only once daily.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?