How does desipramine work?

Desipramine belongs to a family of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. These medications appear to treat depression by increasing amount of certain chemicals in the brain known as neurotransmitters. Desipramine increases the levels of one neurotransmitter in particular, called norepinephrine, and to a lesser extent, seratonin.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?