How does citalopram treat depression?

As a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), citalopram increases the availability of serotonin between nerve cells. Serotonin is important because it helps to send messages between nerve cells by activating receptors on each. An adequate amount of serotonin is necessary to allow the message to continue. After the message passes between cells, the first cell absorbs the remaining serotonin. Citalopram prevents this absorption, known as "reuptake," allowing for additional activation of the nerve cell.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when firs...
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?