How is Celexa used to treat anxiety disorders?

Celexa (citalopram) is an antidepressant medication that may help treat anxiety disorders by adjusting the amount of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter involved in regulating mood and feelings of well-being. People who are deficient in serotonin are at risk for depression and anxiety.

Celexa belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs are considered effective treatments for all anxiety disorders, including obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, phobias (including social phobia) and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder in dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Starting antidepressants in individuals with dementia and depression who may have an underlying bipo...
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?