How is Celexa used to treat alcoholism?

While the antidepressant Celexa (citalopram) is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat alcoholism, some doctors prescribe it for this purpose anyway. ("Off-label" prescribing is a common practice among doctors.) Celexa belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Doctors believe it improves depression by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. In addition to its effects on mood, serotonin is also thought to play a role in whether you crave alcohol and how your brain and body react when you drink it.

In studies, animals reduce their consumption of alcohol when given SSRIs. In human studies, people who were heavy drinkers reduced their alcohol consumption by about 15% to 20% when they took an SSRI. One study found that taking Celexa reduced not only how much alcohol people drank but also how much they craved it. However, results have been mixed or much less significant when SSRIs are given to people who are severely addicted to alcohol, so more study is needed. Drinking alcohol may worsen some side effects of Celexa.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How can I help prevent weight gain from antidepressant medication?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you find yourself troubled by weight gain as a side effect of antidepressant medication, ther...
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What should I know before taking duloxetine?
Your doctor will need to measure your blood pressure before starting treatment. If you take duloxet...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...