Can I get protriptyline over the counter?

Protriptyline is only available with a prescription from your doctor; no over-the-counter (nonprescription) form is available at this time. If you think that you are depressed or have symptoms that could be due to depression, do not hesitate to call your doctor. He or she will ask you about your symptoms and, together, you can decide which antidepressant may work for you. If your doctor feels that protriptyline is a good choice for you, he or she will write a prescription for it; remember to take it exactly as directed.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How do antidepressant medications affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends mostly on what medication is being used, but it also varies a great deal from one perso...
Why might my antidepressant not work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
All depressions are not the same. This may explain why some antidepressants work better in some peop...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?