Can I get protriptyline over the counter?

Protriptyline is only available with a prescription from your doctor; no over-the-counter (nonprescription) form is available at this time. If you think that you are depressed or have symptoms that could be due to depression, do not hesitate to call your doctor. He or she will ask you about your symptoms and, together, you can decide which antidepressant may work for you. If your doctor feels that protriptyline is a good choice for you, he or she will write a prescription for it; remember to take it exactly as directed.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physicia...
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?