What forms of protriptyline are available?

Currently, the only form of protriptyline that is available is a tablet called protriptyline hydrochloride. If you find that taking the tablet makes you feel sick to your stomach, try taking it with food -- that may help. If you have difficulty with swallowing pills, talk with your doctor. He or she may be able to offer some ways to make it easier to take this drug. If you continue having problems, you may need to switch to a different type of medicine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
How effective is nortriptyline for quitting smoking?
Studies show nortriptyline is about as effective as bupropion or nicotine replacement therapy, but n...
Is it safe to take antidepressants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Most experts agree that some new-generation antidepressants (e.g., Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Well...