Does Luvox help everyone who takes it?

Luvox (fluvoxamine) appears to help most people who take it for obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Luvox for treating OCD in adults and children ages 8 to 17. Luvox belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It is believed to work by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that has many functions, including regulating mood.

In studies, among people with OCD who took Luvox for 10 weeks, about two-thirds of adults and about three-quarters of children and teens noticed improvements in their symptoms.

Talk to your doctor for more information about Luvox and whether it is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?