Why did my doctor tell me to take protriptyline?

Protriptyline, also sold under the brand name Vivactil, is a type of medication known as a tricyclic antidepressant. Your doctor probably prescribed it to you because he or she felt that you have symptoms of depression. You may have felt very down, may have had changes in your eating or sleeping or may have had thoughts about harming or killing yourself.

As with any antidepressant medicine, you should know that protriptyline will not cure the depression but may be able to treat your symptoms. Your doctor may have prescribed protriptyline for other reasons.

Ask you doctor if you have any questions about your medication and why you are taking it. 

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are dual reuptake inhibitors?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
The dual reuptake inhibitors venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a class of antidepr...
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?