Do I need to make changes to my diet while taking protriptyline?

If you often enjoy grapefruit as part of your breakfast or drink large amounts of grapefruit juice, you should know that protriptyline may be affected. Grapefruit juice, whether from the fruit itself or out of a carton, may increase the amount of protriptyline in your blood and cause you to have dangerously high levels of the drug in your bloodstream. So, if you do drink a lot of grapefruit juice, this may be an important change to make to your diet.

Also, be aware that drinking a lot of alcohol can add to the drowsiness that you may already have from protriptyline; avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this drug. Besides these changes, you can continue eating your usual diet.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the side effects of nortriptyline?
Side effects may include drowsiness, lethargy, fatigue, weakness, dry mouth, eye and vision problems...
How can antidepressants help a smoker quit?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?