Do I need to make changes to my diet while taking protriptyline?

If you often enjoy grapefruit as part of your breakfast or drink large amounts of grapefruit juice, you should know that protriptyline may be affected. Grapefruit juice, whether from the fruit itself or out of a carton, may increase the amount of protriptyline in your blood and cause you to have dangerously high levels of the drug in your bloodstream. So, if you do drink a lot of grapefruit juice, this may be an important change to make to your diet.

Also, be aware that drinking a lot of alcohol can add to the drowsiness that you may already have from protriptyline; avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this drug. Besides these changes, you can continue eating your usual diet.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What are dual reuptake inhibitors?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
The dual reuptake inhibitors venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a class of antidepr...
Is it harmful to take antidepressants for a long time?
Right now, there is not much strong evidence that long-term antidepressant use will cause any seriou...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...