Can I use Paxil if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, talk with your doctor about whether taking an antidepressant such as Paxil is the best treatment for you. Though very few infants have a bad reaction to antidepressants, the long-term effects, if any, aren't known.

All antidepressants are passed to the baby through breast milk, but studies have found that Paxil is undetectable in nursing infants' blood. Because of this, Paxil is frequently given to breastfeeding women who need to take an antidepressant.

Some doctors advise women to take their antidepressant after a feeding, and to avoid nursing their baby for several hours while the drug clears their system. However, there is little scientific evidence that this reduces the amount of drug the baby receives. If you take Paxil while nursing, a pediatrician should monitor your child closely.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A ve...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?