Can I take Tofranil if I am pregnant?

Your doctor may tell you not to take Tofranil (imipramine) if you are pregnant because birth defects have been associated with its use. However, there have not been any well-designed studies on the impact that Tofranil may have on a developing fetus. It’s important to discuss the risks and benefits of taking Tofranil with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking serotonin reuptake inhibitors?
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. It is not known if all SRIs are safe or effective for...
What are the risks of taking antidepressants during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Antidepressants are generally reserved for the treatment of serious depression during pregnancy....
Is it harmful to take antidepressants for a long time?
Right now, there is not much strong evidence that long-term antidepressant use will cause any seriou...