Can I take Tofranil if I am pregnant?

Your doctor may tell you not to take Tofranil (imipramine) if you are pregnant because birth defects have been associated with its use. However, there have not been any well-designed studies on the impact that Tofranil may have on a developing fetus. It’s important to discuss the risks and benefits of taking Tofranil with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I help prevent weight gain from antidepressant medication?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you find yourself troubled by weight gain as a side effect of antidepressant medication, ther...
How can antidepressants help with weight loss?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Antidepressants are confusing when it comes to weight loss. Some of them have been shown to increase...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?