Can I take Tofranil if I am pregnant?

Your doctor may tell you not to take Tofranil (imipramine) if you are pregnant because birth defects have been associated with its use. However, there have not been any well-designed studies on the impact that Tofranil may have on a developing fetus. It’s important to discuss the risks and benefits of taking Tofranil with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can tricyclic antidepressants help prevent migraine headaches?
The tricyclic antidepressants amitriptyline and nortriptyline (Pamelor) are 2 of the most effective ...
What are the side effects of SSNRIs in people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs) include Effexor (venlafaxine) an...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?