Can I take nefazodone if I am pregnant?

Nefazodone (Serzone) is an antidepressant used to treat major depressive disorders. It is a phenylpiperazine-derivative antidepressant that acts in a different way than other antidepressants. As with all medicines, the benefits of taking a drug during pregnancy must outweigh the risks for both mother and baby.

Nefazodone has been assigned to Pregnancy Category C by the FDA, which means animal studies indicate a problem. But this has not been studied in humans. So its use during pregnancy should be approached with caution since there are no studies confirming the safety during pregnancy.

Nefazodone carries many safety warnings in both adults and children that apply to other antidepressants as well. In addition to side effects, a Black-Box Warning alerts users to the potential for liver toxicity, worsening of depressive symptoms and thoughts of suicide.

Tell your doctor if you have become pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant because there may be another option.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What are the risks of taking antidepressants during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Antidepressants are generally reserved for the treatment of serious depression during pregnancy....
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?