Can I take mirtazapine if I have phenylketonuria?

Mirtazapine is available in regular tablets and in orally-disintegrating tablets. Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a condition in which a birth defect causes a problem with an enzyme that metabolizes the amino acid phenylalanine. The disease requires a special diet low in phenylalanine to prevent PKU symptoms like mental retardation, seizures, hyperactivity, behavioral problems and others. The orally-disintegrating tablets contain phenylalanine, which may interfere with a PKU diet. The regular mirtazapine tablets do not contain phenylalanine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A ve...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?