Can I take milnacipran if I'm pregnant?

You and your doctor must decide if you should take milnacipran if you are pregnant or become pregnant. There are no studies of pregnant women to determine whether this drug could harm an unborn baby. Studies have shown that babies born to lab animals given high doses of this drug are at increased risk for birth defects.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has determined that a risk to an unborn baby of a pregnant woman who takes this drug cannot be ruled out. However, the benefits of milnacipran may outweigh those risks.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How do antidepressant medications affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends mostly on what medication is being used, but it also varies a great deal from one perso...
How effective is duloxetine for treating osteoarthritis?
Research on duloxetine has found it to be about as effective as NSAIDs for improving pain and functi...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?