Can I take desvenlafaxine if I'm a senior?

If you're a senior, you should be able to take desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) to treat depression. In clinical studies, the drug has worked just as well in people 65 and older as in younger people. However, seniors are more likely to have liver, kidney or heart problems that could make them more sensitive to desvenlafaxine and its side effects, so you should make sure that your doctor knows everything about your medical history and any health conditions you have, as well as about any other medications you take.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Which common foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antidepressants?
The following information will provide the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse dru...
Can antidepressants cause bone loss?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Evidence is growing that serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a popular class of antidepressan...
What antidepressants help treat gastrointestinal (GI) disorders?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Three groups of antidepressant medications can be used to treat functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?