Can I take desvenlafaxine if I'm a senior?

If you're a senior, you should be able to take desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) to treat depression. In clinical studies, the drug has worked just as well in people 65 and older as in younger people. However, seniors are more likely to have liver, kidney or heart problems that could make them more sensitive to desvenlafaxine and its side effects, so you should make sure that your doctor knows everything about your medical history and any health conditions you have, as well as about any other medications you take.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are the side effects of doxepin?
Side effects may include abnormal thinking or behavior, driving or doing other tasks while asleep or...
What are side effects of antidepressants?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
Side effects of antidepressants include the following: Common side effects: These include nausea an...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?