Can I take desvenlafaxine if I'm a senior?

If you're a senior, you should be able to take desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) to treat depression. In clinical studies, the drug has worked just as well in people 65 and older as in younger people. However, seniors are more likely to have liver, kidney or heart problems that could make them more sensitive to desvenlafaxine and its side effects, so you should make sure that your doctor knows everything about your medical history and any health conditions you have, as well as about any other medications you take.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
Which common foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antidepressants?
The following information will provide the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse dru...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?