Can I take desipramine if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?

Tell your doctor if you're pregnant, hope to become pregnant or breastfeeding. The drug hasn't been formally studied in pregnant women, therefore experts can't be certain that it does not pose a threat. Desipramine is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless the possible benefits outweigh the risks. Desipramine is found in the breast milk of nursing mothers.

It is not known whether it's safe to breastfeed an infant while taking desipramine. Talk to your doctor to weigh the risks and benefits of taking desipramine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What medications or supplements interact with amitriptyline?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 antagonist, an antipsychotic, lithium, metaxalone, methylphenidate, metocl...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?