Can I take desipramine if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?

Tell your doctor if you're pregnant, hope to become pregnant or breastfeeding. The drug hasn't been formally studied in pregnant women, therefore experts can't be certain that it does not pose a threat. Desipramine is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless the possible benefits outweigh the risks. Desipramine is found in the breast milk of nursing mothers.

It is not known whether it's safe to breastfeed an infant while taking desipramine. Talk to your doctor to weigh the risks and benefits of taking desipramine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A ve...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?