Can I suddenly stop taking paroxetine?

Paroxetine (Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva) is a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), a type of antidepressant used to treat a wide range of mental health disorders. If you and your doctor have decided that you no longer need or want to take paroxetine you should not stop this medicine suddenly.

Abrupt withdrawal of paroxetine can cause depression, anxiety, irritability, agitation, dizziness, electric shock sensations, ear ringing, confusion, headache, fatigue, sleeping problems and mania. Instead, your doctor will slowly taper your dose and monitor for discontinuation symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?