Can I stop taking desvenlafaxine if I feel better?

If you're taking desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) to treat depression, don't stop taking it without talking to your doctor first, even if you're feeling better. Quitting cold-turkey can lead to withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, dizziness, headache, nausea, irritability, anxiety, fatigue, trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, diarrhea and unusual dreams. If your symptoms of depression improve and you feel you don't need to keep taking desvenlafaxine, the best way to do it is to wean off the drug gradually, with your doctor's guidance.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
Can teens take antidepressants for bipolar disorder?
Yes, and they can be incredibly helpful. However, they are used with extreme caution in children b...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?