Can I stop taking desvenlafaxine if I feel better?

If you're taking desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) to treat depression, don't stop taking it without talking to your doctor first, even if you're feeling better. Quitting cold-turkey can lead to withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, dizziness, headache, nausea, irritability, anxiety, fatigue, trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, diarrhea and unusual dreams. If your symptoms of depression improve and you feel you don't need to keep taking desvenlafaxine, the best way to do it is to wean off the drug gradually, with your doctor's guidance.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can antidepressants help a smoker quit?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are ...
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder in dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Starting antidepressants in individuals with dementia and depression who may have an underlying bipo...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?