Can my child take phenelzine?

Phenelzine is currently not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for use by children. This means that if your child is depressed, his or her doctor will choose another medication to treat the depression symptoms. However, sometimes, doctors may prescribe medications even if the medication has not been approved by the FDA for that condition--this is sometimes called "off-label" prescribing.

If your child has a type of anxiety disorder called selective mutism, in which they speak well at home but do not speak at all in school or in social situations, your doctor may suggest trying phenelzine.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?