Can my elderly parents take Pristiq?

Your elderly parents may be able to take Pristiq, but they should first talk to their doctor. Studies have not determined how Pristiq affects older patients. Your parents are more likely to have kidney, liver or heart problems that may require a decrease in dosage. They may be more sensitive to the medicine and suffer more side effects. Talk to their doctor about their health, medical history and whether Pristiq is appropriate to treat their mental health condition.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder in dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Starting antidepressants in individuals with dementia and depression who may have an underlying bipo...
Should my child take antidepressants for their eating disorder?
Antidepressants have only been shown to be effective in treating depression associated with eating d...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?