Can antidepressants cause bone loss?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Evidence is growing that serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a popular class of antidepressants, may cause bone thinning. The connection between depression and bone loss has been noted since the 1990s, but the precise nature of this association remained unclear for many years. However, an article in The Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions that examined both laboratory and clinical evidence on the subject reported that SSRIs were linked to bone loss in four out of the five epidemiological studies analyzed.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?