Can amitriptyline be used to treat pain?

Amitriptyline is prescribed to treat chronic pain from shingles (post-herpetic neuralgia), as well as migraine headaches. Talk to your doctor about chronic pain that affects your quality of life or impairs your ability to work.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?