Do foods or alcohol interact with phenelzine?

Certain foods and drinks contain a substance called tyramine. If you take phenelzine and eat or drink tyramine-containing items, you may have a "hypertensive crisis," in which your blood pressure goes up to dangerous levels.

Some of the things you should avoid include aged cheeses, cured meats, such as sausage or salami, and beer. Discuss with your doctor which foods or beverages you should not eat while on phenelzine, and which things you can eat or drink in small amounts.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
How often should I take antidepressants for perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
There are various types and doses of antidepressants available by prescription from medical health-c...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?