How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?

Anti-depressant drugs typically take three to six weeks to have substantial effects. This delay occurs because the brain accommodates to (or appears to) the accumulation of the drug in the brain. Thus the drugs are usually used for six to nine months for the first episode of depression (The recurrence rate after that is the same whether you continue the medication past nine months or not). Recurrent episodes require longer-term treatment.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
Can children take antidepressants?
Children with depression can take certain antidepressants. But the drugs should be prescribed by...