What is the most important information I should know about trazodone?

Trazodone, like other antidepressant medications, may increase the risk for suicidal thoughts and behavior, especially in children, teenagers, and young adults. A person with increased suicidal tendencies may be more anxious, restless, hostile, or irritable, and may act impulsively or suffer panic attacks. Talk to your doctor immediately if you notice any changes in mood of a person taking trazodone. Do not take trazodone if you have a history of suicidal tendencies. Do not take trazodone if you have kidney or liver disease, heart disease, or have had a heart attack. Unless it is absolutely necessary, do not take trazodone if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to become pregnant. It is not known how trazodone affects a fetus or if this drug is passed through breast milk.
Before taking trazodone, tell your doctor all prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are taking. Be sure to include any medications that may alter the effects of trazodone, including sodium oxybate (GHB), HIV protease inhibitors, serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), anticoagulants, hydantoins, penothiazines, carbamazepine, nefazodone, ethanol, digoxin, ginkgo biloba, and itraconazole. Do not drink alcohol or take drugs like muscle relaxers or sleep aids while on trazodone, as the combination may increase the risk of certain side effects. Don't drive or operate machinery until you know how you respond to trazodone.

For trazodone to be effective, it must be taken precisely as prescribed. Continue to take trazodone as directed even if you are feeling better.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Should I take antidepressants if I smoke?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Smokers who take antidepressants often have a lower risk of heart attacks. In this video, Dr. Ro...
How effective are tricyclic antidepressants at treating migraines?
Guidelines published by the American Headache Society state that amitriptyline is probably effective...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?